[Mauiusers] showstart command

Steve Young chemadm at hamilton.edu
Thu Nov 29 12:20:06 MST 2007

Hello,
	I am using an older version of maui and torque (I plan on upgrading
them all soon =)). I think maui is # maui.cfg 3.2.6p14 and torque is
2.0.0p2.

I just noticed this and wanted to post to see if this still an issue
or perhaps it has been fixed now.

I don't use it very much but I was using the showstart command to
look at a couple jobs to see when they might be done running. First
let me explain how the jobs are set up. A user has like 30 jobs in
the queue. All of them are set up to go to one specific machine using
the #PBS -l host=<machinename> directive. Each job is running for 500
hours so it might be some time before they are all finished. Anyhow,
I ran the showstart command on the first idle job in the showq list
and the last idle job in the showq list. Here is the output:

[root at jake ~]# showstart 48542
job 48542 requires 2 procs for 20:20:00:00
Earliest start in      20:09:26:14 on Wed Dec 19 23:26:38
Earliest completion in 41:05:26:14 on Wed Jan  9 19:26:38
Best Partition: DEFAULT

[root at jake ~]# showstart 48574
job 48574 requires 2 procs for 20:20:00:00
Earliest start in      20:09:26:14 on Wed Dec 19 23:26:38
Earliest completion in 41:05:26:14 on Wed Jan  9 19:26:38
Best Partition: DEFAULT

Both jobs show the same dates. So it would appear to me that
showstart can't really predict when the job can run. It can only
predict when the next job will be able to run? Anyone run into this
before? Thanks,

-Steve Young