[Mauiusers] Problems with understanding Standing Reservations

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Thu Nov 22 07:16:17 MST 2007

mauiusers-bounces at supercluster.org schrieb am 11/21/2007 08:53:44 PM:

> I am trying to figure out if my understanding of standing reservations
> is wrong or why my standing reservations aren't working.  I'm trying to
> do workstation harvesting from 7PM until 7AM, but also make them
> available to interactive jobs during the day 7AM - 7PM.
>
> I thought that by defining the following in maui.cfg
>
> SRCFG[interactive] PERIOD=DAY DAYS=MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI
> SRCFG[interactive] STARTTIME=7:00:00 ENDTIME=19:00:00
> SRCFG[interactive] CLASSLIST=interactive HOSTLIST=atlas,parhelia
>
> CLASSCFG[interactive] FLAGS=PREEMPTOR

AFAIK, the class id for CLASSCFG must correspond to the name of a queue
defined in TORQUE and there is no magic 'interactive' queue for jobs
submitted with -I. In fact, you can combine -I with -q to submit an
interactive job to a particular queue (= class in Maui's terminology).

> That any job submitted with qsub -I would run on the nodes listed, but
> not run on any other nodes not listed,

According to my understanding, the above is true for any job submitted
with "qsub -q interactive", and the -I option is irrelevant.

> but when I
>
> qsub -I -lnodes=atlas,mem=1m,ncpus=1

You didn't specify -q...

> I get
>
> ///
> checking job 4342
>
> State: Idle
> Creds:  user:username  group:graphics  class:batch  qos:DEFAULT

...and your job was submitted to queue 'batch' (your default one?)

> WallTime: 00:00:00 of 99:23:59:59
> SubmitTime: Wed Nov 21 11:31:50
>    (Time Queued  Total: 00:00:32  Eligible: 00:00:32)
>
> Total Tasks: 1
>
> Req[0]  TaskCount: 1  Partition: ALL
> Network: [NONE]  Memory >= 0  Disk >= 0  Swap >= 0
> Opsys: [NONE]  Arch: [NONE]  Features: [NONE]
> Dedicated Resources Per Task: PROCS: 1  MEM: 1M
> NodeCount: 1
>

> IWD: [NONE]  Executable:  [NONE]
> Bypass: 0  StartCount: 0
> PartitionMask: [ALL]
> Flags:       HOSTLIST
> HostList:
>    [atlas:1]
> PE:  1.00  StartPriority:  1006
> job cannot run in partition DEFAULT (idle procs do not meet requirements

> : 0 of 1 procs found)
> idle procs: 116  feasible procs:   0
>
> Rejection Reasons: [ReserveTime  :    1][HostList     :    5]
> ///////
>
> So it sees that there is a reservation but shouldn't it allow me to run
> this interactive job, as the CLASSCFG is set to interactive?

No, because didn't use the 'interactive' queue. I suspect that you don't
even have a queue named 'interactive' in your TORQUE configuration.

Best regards,
Jan Ploski