[Mauiusers] Limit number of application jobs running

Leonardo Lapeira llapeira at q-leap.de
Fri May 18 01:34:52 MDT 2007

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding our torque-maui configuration
(torque-2.1.8-1, maui-3.2.6p19-1) and I hope somebody can help me on
this. We have 5 queues, each one associated with specific nodes by means
of generic properties defined in the nodes file.
In this way, each user group is restricted to use a specific queue and
the corresponding set of resources (Queue to node mapping).

There is however some application where the number of tasks running at
the same time is limited due to licensing issues. Until now we are able
to control this situation using the following on maui.cfg

CLASSCFG[turbo] QDEF=turbo MAXJOB=X PRIORITY=9000

As you see, the limit imposed on the queue make sure that only X jobs
will run on it at the same time. Our setup works in this case because
until now users are only allowed to submit jobs of a given application
on a specific queue. However we’re not really satisfied with this
solution because the limit on the number of jobs is associated with
queue limits and not with limits on the application itself. In fact, if
we would get an application license supporting more CPUs, then we would
have to redefine the corresponding queue attributes in order to get
these new licensed jobs scheduled.

Is there another possibility to setup torque-maui so that we can limit
an application to run only a given number of jobs on the cluster? I have
tried using QOS and Advance Reservations, but until now I cannot get
this working.

I want to thank you in advance for your attention,

Best regards,

L. Lapeira