[Mauiusers] RE: [torqueusers] max queues

Sam Rash srash at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Mar 1 08:46:50 MST 2007

Wow, according to dave jackson anything > 32 should bail.  But I get 2x
people using ~64.

64 would be a good # for us..

Also, can anyone recommend the most efficient method to poll for job
completion (and hence qstat -f).

Sorry Garrick, your perl pbs didn't work right off and I got lazy =)

So what we wrote is a phat wrapper around qsub, qstat -f that basically
does:

Qstat -f id1 id2 id3 ...

But somewhere, shell-dependent I *think*, you hit max arg length (someone
remind me, is ie argc or strlen(args).   So we know we can ask 512 jobs at
min (with ids of form 13415153.host.something.yahoo.com)

And it works fine.  Dave said to turn on some var that made it ok for torque
to 'ask' job status if it was stale via heartbeat piggybacks instead of
waiting for pbs_mom to push info back (special case pull model).

Anyone know the param?  I didn't see it in the docs?  And in my 4 notepads
it's somewhere...something simple like

poll_node_ok = true in qmgr?

Help?
Garrick?