[Mauiusers] MAXJOB[USER] not working in QOSCFG

Jones J.W. J.W.Jones at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 06:37:42 MDT 2007

Hi,

I have been trying to use the MAXJOB[USER] flag in a QoS and it seems to
be ignoring me.
I am using OpenPBS 2.3.12 and Maui 3.2.6p13.

The relevent part of my maui.cfg file is:

=======================================
USERCFG[cgjones]        MAXJOB=1
USERCFG[cgjones1]       MAXJOB=1

SRCFG[testr1]           HOSTLIST=node10 PERIOD=INFINITY CLASSLIST=test1
SRCFG[testr2]           HOSTLIST=node11 PERIOD=INFINITY CLASSLIST=test2

#QOSCFG[testq1]         QFLAGS=IGNALL MAXJOB[USER:cgjones]=3
QOSCFG[testq1]          OMAXJOB[USER]=3
QOSCFG[testq2]          MAXJOB=1

CLASSCFG[test1]         QDEF=testq1 FLAGS=ADVRES:testr
CLASSCFG[test2]         FLAGS=ADVRES:testr2 QDEF=testq2
=======================================

Basically I try to submit 8 single cpu jobs using:

qsub test1; qsub test1;qsub test1;qsub test1;qsub test1;qsub test1;qsub
test1

to test it.

I have the user, cgjones, with a generic MAXJOB of 1, but if a job is
submitted to queue, test1, then I expect this limit to be raised to 3.
However, when the 8 jobs are submitted, only 2 of them run and if I do a
checkjob on one of the queued ones I see:

checking job 15070

State: Idle
Creds:  user:cgjones  group:nko  class:test1  qos:testq1
WallTime: 00:00:00 of 00:10:00
SubmitTime: Fri Jun 29 13:33:06
  (Time Queued  Total: 00:00:01  Eligible: 00:00:01)

Total Tasks: 1

Req[0]  TaskCount: 1  Partition: ALL
Network: [NONE]  Memory >= 0  Disk >= 0  Swap >= 0
Opsys: [NONE]  Arch: [NONE]  Features: [NONE]
Dedicated Resources Per Task: PROCS: 1  MEM: 1M

IWD: [NONE]  Executable:  [NONE]
Bypass: 0  StartCount: 0
PartitionMask: [ALL]
Flags:       RESTARTABLE

PE:  1.00  StartPriority:  1
cannot select job 15070 for partition DEFAULT (job 15070 violates active
HARD MAXJOB limit of 3 for group nko  (R: 1, U: 3))

There is one job being run by someone in my group, nko, so it limits me
to 2 due to my MAXJOB being applied to the group, for some reason.

1. Why is it being applied to the group? I have no GROUP settings in my
entire cfg file.
2. The other user is not running under the QoS, testq1, so why is he
being counted anyway?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Dr Jason W Jones