[Mauiusers] Would Maui kill running jobs if I change MAXJOBS ?

Prakash Velayutham Prakash.Velayutham at cchmc.org
Mon Jun 25 09:44:19 MDT 2007

As far as I know, it won't. As it does not have the intelligence to know
which jobs to kill. And also all scheduling policy changes only affect
future jobs.

Prakash

>>> <Andrew.Mather at dpi.vic.gov.au> 06/25/07 3:08 AM >>>
Hi All,

I have a need to change (reduce) the maximum number of jobs permitted
for
each user.

In the past, I've done this by modifying the MAXJOBS setting in Maui and

it's worked fine, but the queues have always been empty (or nearly so)
when I've done it.

My current dilema is that one of the users currently has (many) more
jobs
running than the number I want to set the value to.

Could anyone please let me know if changing this setting will kill
running
jobs, or if it just means no more will start for that user until the
number of running jobs is back below the new quota ?

Google doesn't bring up anything useful about doing this in my situation

and I don't want to just "suck it and see" because some of these jobs
are
2 weeks into a 3 or 4 week run and I would *NOT* be popular if they died

now !  ;-)

We're running maui-3.2.6p14-snap.1125509278, in case things have changed

with maui.cfg since then.

Thanks,
Andrew

Bioinformatics Advanced Scientific Computing
Primary Industries Research Victoria, Attwood Centre
475 Mickleham Rd, Attwood, Vic 3049
Ph:   +61 3 92174342
Mb:  0413 009761
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid;
Humans are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant.
Together they are powerful beyond imagination."
   Albert Einstein
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I believe what I said yesterday ... I don't know what I said, er, but I

know what I think, and ... well, I assume it's what I said."
Donald Rumsfeld

-

Notice:

confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should
be reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the
copyright owner.

It is the responsibility of the recipient to check for and remove
viruses.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by
return email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to
use, communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.