[Mauiusers] Harvesting workstations as part of a cluster

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Fri Jul 6 11:20:50 MDT 2007

Hi All,

This is my first post here, and I'd like to know how to setup the following.

We have 5 labs that I manage that have some pretty nice high end
workstations that sit idle between the hours of 7PM and 7AM.  I would
like to use maui to start harvesting some of the unused resources for
computational purposes.  I have created the following SRCFG to group
workstations which have similar file system access etc

SRCFG[lab1] HOSTLIST=list of workstations
SRSTARTTIME[lab1] 19:00:00
SRENDTIME[lab1] 7:00:00

SRCFG[lab2] HOSTLIST=list of workstations
SRSTARTTIME[lab2] 19:00:00
SRENDTIME[lab2] 7:00:00

On thing though is that all of these groups have a baseline commonality
that I would like to use as well as one big group.  Can I make a group
that consists of other groups?  Ie

SRCFG[all_labs] HOSTLIST=[lab1] [lab2] ...

Has anyone implemented a similar strategy where they have a 24x7 cluster
and workstation harvesting with Maui?

--
James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE