[Mauiusers] Fairshare policy help

Steve Traylen steve.traylen at cern.ch
Wed Feb 7 00:21:55 MST 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 11:06 PM, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to configure the fairshare policy or a solution, so
> that users who submit 100 jobs can not monopolize the cluster. The
> cluster consists of 32 dual processor nodes. Torque-2.0.0p8 and
> maui-3.2.6p16 are installed on a system running Centos 4.   All
> users are in the group students and right now, there is only one
> queue.  There are no restrictions on the number of jobs a user can
> run and it is a FIFO operation.
>
> UserA submits 100 jobs and monopolizes the cluster and also has
> jobs in the queue.  UserB submits 10 jobs and has to wait until all
> of userA's jobs, both running/queued, have finished before userB
> jobs will run.  I want to be able to properly weight the jobs in
> the queue, so that even if userA's jobs have been queued long,
> userB's jobs will run first.

Mary,

   I gave a short 30m tutorial on Torque and Maui the other day which
might answer some of your questions hopefully?

   http://indico.cern.ch/materialDisplay.py?
contribId=34&sessionId=21&materialId=slides&confId=3738

   the TorqueMauiTutorial* documents are all the same, just different
formats. The .mov format is probably the best.

    Steve