[Mauiusers] Fairshare policy help

Åke Sandgren ake.sandgren at hpc2n.umu.se
Wed Feb 7 00:00:17 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 17:06 -0500, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to configure the fairshare policy or a solution, so that
> users who submit 100 jobs can not monopolize the cluster.
> The cluster consists of 32 dual processor nodes. Torque-2.0.0p8 and
> maui-3.2.6p16 are installed on a system running Centos 4.   All users
> are in the group students and right now, there is only one queue.  There
> are no restrictions on the number of jobs a user can run and it is a
> FIFO operation.
>
> UserA submits 100 jobs and monopolizes the cluster and also has jobs in
> the queue.  UserB submits 10 jobs and has to wait until all of userA's
> jobs, both running/queued, have finished before userB jobs will run.  I
> want to be able to properly weight the jobs in the queue, so that even
> if userA's jobs have been queued long, userB's jobs will run first.
>
> It seems the fairshare policy with historical usage would be the way to
> go, but I am not sure if I have the selected the correct parameters or
> configured them properly.   Here is the relevant maui.cfg parameters I
> have enabled.
>
> QUEUETIMEWEIGHT       10
If you really want too see fairshare in action set all weights to 0
except the fairshare ones.

> FSPOLICY              PSDEDICATED
The value should be DEDICATEDPS

> FSDEPTH               4
> FSINTERVAL           00:06:00
6 minute intevalls is rather on the short side.
I think 24 hours is better but if you want to see quick results then
perhaps 1 hour is usable.

> FSDECAY               0.50
>
> FSWEIGHT       1
> FSUSERWEIGHT  1
> FSGROUPWEIGHT 1
> USERCFG[DEFAULT]   FSTARGET=70    ( hoping this give any user a
> fairshare target of 70.  Is this the parameter I should be tweaking the
> most?)

That should give each user a 70% share but if you want to give users a
really fair share then set fstarget to 100/number-of-users.