[Mauiusers] Fairshare policy help

Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick mfitzpat at bu.edu
Tue Feb 6 15:06:08 MST 2007

Hi,
I am trying to configure the fairshare policy or a solution, so that
users who submit 100 jobs can not monopolize the cluster.
The cluster consists of 32 dual processor nodes. Torque-2.0.0p8 and
maui-3.2.6p16 are installed on a system running Centos 4.   All users
are in the group students and right now, there is only one queue.  There
are no restrictions on the number of jobs a user can run and it is a
FIFO operation.

UserA submits 100 jobs and monopolizes the cluster and also has jobs in
the queue.  UserB submits 10 jobs and has to wait until all of userA's
jobs, both running/queued, have finished before userB jobs will run.  I
want to be able to properly weight the jobs in the queue, so that even
if userA's jobs have been queued long, userB's jobs will run first.

It seems the fairshare policy with historical usage would be the way to
go, but I am not sure if I have the selected the correct parameters or
configured them properly.   Here is the relevant maui.cfg parameters I
have enabled.

QUEUETIMEWEIGHT       10

FSPOLICY              PSDEDICATED
FSDEPTH               4
FSINTERVAL           00:06:00
FSDECAY               0.50

FSWEIGHT       1
FSUSERWEIGHT  1
FSGROUPWEIGHT 1
USERCFG[DEFAULT]   FSTARGET=70    ( hoping this give any user a
fairshare target of 70.  Is this the parameter I should be tweaking the
most?)

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Mary Ellen