[Mauiusers] Throttling Job Starts.

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Tue Feb 6 08:22:18 MST 2007

Matt Hodges wrote:
> Is is possible in Maui to throttle job starts, i.e. limit the number
> for a given scheduler iteration?  I don't mind how many jobs are
> running for the group in question (and this is determined in practice
> by fairshares), but I want to avoid starting more than a couple of
> jobs simultaneously.  Ideally this would be configurable by group, or
> perhaps by user.
>
> I've tried playing around with the MAXJOBQUEUED and
> MAXJOBQUEUEDPERUSER parameters but haven't been able to prevent
> simultaneous job starts.
>
> Is something like this possible in maui.cfg or by other means?
>
> Maui version:   3.2.6p16
> Torque version: 2.1.6

You might try to set MAXIJOB=1 or MAXIJOB=2 for your groups or users. This
is bad for backfilling but might be approximately what you are looking for.
(The jobs that are not allowed into the idle queue are blocked and
cannot be scheduled until there is a free position in the idle queue.)

To set a very low MAXIJOB value for a QOS or a queue would possibly be
bad also for your fairshare goals, so I do not propose that.

Best wishes,
   http://www.nsc.liu.se