[Mauiusers] two-cpu job cannot preempt two one-cpu jobs: is this correct behavior?

Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr] harbaugh at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Feb 1 07:48:51 MST 2007

Hi-

I have set up preemption in maui, and it works for jobs that have
equal numbers of cpus; i.e., a two-cpu job can preempt another
two-cpu job.

But in a case where say, one node is filled with single-cpu jobs
and a two-cpu job comes in with a QOS that allows it to preempt,
it can't.  maui will only preempt *one* job a time, never two,
which would be necessary for the two-cpu job to start.  Note that
our NODEACCESSPOLICY is SHARED.

Is this behavior by design, or is there some setting I can change
(other than setting NODEACCESSPOLICY to DEDICATED) which will allow
a multi-cpu job to preempt multiple jobs?

Thanks,
Toni

Toni Harbaugh-Blackford                   harbaugh at abcc.ncifcrf.gov
System Administrator
Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC)
National Cancer Institute
Contractor - SAIC/Frederick