[Mauiusers] Standing Reservations

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Thu Aug 23 08:22:36 MDT 2007

We are running torque 2.1.8 + maui 3.2.6p18 and I have the following
standing reservations configured.

SRCFG[xxxx PERIOD=INFINITY
SRCFG[xxxx] NODEFEATURES=infiniband
SRCFG[xxxx] USERLIST=xxxx
SRCFG[xxxx] TASKCOUNT=131 RESOURCES=PROCS:4;MEM:3600
#
SRCFG[yyyy] PERIOD=INFINITY
SRCFG[yyyy] NODEFEATURES=infiniband
SRCFG[yyyy] USERLIST=yyyy
SRCFG[yyyy] TASKCOUNT=66 RESOURCES=PROCS:4;MEM:3600

And although maui accepts this and the reservations show up more or
less correctly in both "showres" and "diagnose -r", Maui continues to
give out the reserved processors/nodes to other users jobs.    I've
tried a variety of variations on the above that included a nodelist
and different combinations of "TASKCOUNT/PROCS".   The result is
always the same.   Maui seems to hold "most" of the procs aside but
not quite enough to allow the jobs to run when they are submitted.

Is there some trick to getting maui to enforce standing reservations
or is this just a bug in Maui?

The documentation for Maui seems to imply that standing reservations
are preferable to things like "partitions" and separate queues and I
would tend to agree.   However, as of yet, we have not been able to
make them work reliably.    BTW, reservations for a smaller number of
procs (say 20) seem to be honored pretty reliably.

Thanks,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center