[Mauiusers] MAUI client requests rejected

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Tue Sep 5 14:15:05 MDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:17:34AM +0200, Ole Holm Nielsen alleged:
> We're upgrading to maui-3.2.6p16, and we have a problem with client
> hosts (i.e., the hosts where normal users log in) not being able to
> ask for the status of MAUI, notably the "showq" command which gives
> the following error on a client host:
>
> # showq
> ERROR:    lost connection to server
> ERROR:    cannot request service (status)
>
> The MAUI server log has rejected the request as seen in maui.log:
> 09/05 09:59:13 ALERT:    checksum does not match
> (de56647432047d1a:564c00d0d8d4d658)  request 'TS=1157443153 AUTH=ohnielse
> DT=CMD=showq AUTH=ohnielse ARG=0 ALL 0'
>
> Question: How do I configure the MAUI server/clients so that status
> inquiries become enabled ?
>
> I've tried to follow the documentation
> http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/a.esecurity.shtml
> where the example says to put this line into maui-private.cfg:
>    CLIENTCFG[RM:clusterA] CSKEY=banana6
> I've done this on both the server and the client and restarted MAUI,
> but still I get the above error messages.  Perhaps I've misunderstood
> which parameter should replace "clusterA" in the above, but I assume
> it's the hostname of the MAUI server host.
>
> Can anyone throw light on this problem ?

"RM" is Resource Manager, like TORQUE or PBSPro.

maui clients have a built-in seed to hash the requests for
authentication, so all maui clients and server that need to talk to each
must have the same seed.

If you don't specify a seed at build-time, configure picks a random
number.  Are your maui clients from the same build as your server?  Did
you specify a seed?