[Mauiusers] potential of misuse with interactive jobs

Neelesh Arora narora at Princeton.EDU
Wed Oct 18 14:05:24 MDT 2006

Hi All,

In a setup like ours:
multiple queues with different max_cputime limits, users specify
required cputime, jobs get routed accordingly
there is a potential of resource hoarding, in that a user may submit an
interactive job with very high cputime and block a node for future use.
Since the job does not accrue cputime, it is not effected by the queue's
max_cputime limit.

We would like to avoid this scenario and I can think of 2 ways to do it:
- route interactive jobs to a separate queue (with limited max_cputime)
- identify an interactive job at submission and set a very low walltime
(similar to above)
- disable interactive jobs at the server level

I am afraid I can't find the way to achieve any of these. Can someone
please apprise me how this can be done? How do others avoid such misuse?

Thanks.

-Neel
PS: this is with torque-2.0 and maui-3.2.16p13