[Mauiusers] Maui ignores consumable resources settings

Chris Wilk chris.wilk at gridwisetech.com
Wed Oct 4 08:38:48 MDT 2006

Dear all,

We need to guarantee that at most two jobs are allowed to run on a given
  node. Moreover, we run two kinds of jobs and only one of every kind is
allowed to run in parallel.

In order to achieve this goal we "fooled" Torque that this node has 2 CPUs:

server_priv/nodes:
therion np=2 therion

Then we configured Maui to be used instead of standard pbs_sched and
configured two node-locked consumable generic resources:

maui.cfg:
NODECFG[therion]    GRES=resource1:1,resource2:1

Finally, we tried requesting these resources via appropriate submit command:

$ qsub -l nodes=therion,other=resource1 job.sh
$ qsub -l nodes=therion,other=resource1 job.sh

Two jobs were accepted and started running. It would be nice if the
latter would be rejected or queued instead.

We have also tried "-W x='GRES=resource1'" syntax. It did not work for
us either.

Our configuration:
Torque 2.1.2
Maui 3.2.6p16
(also tried with Maui-3.2.6p16 snapshot 1157560841)

Are we doing something wrong? What should we do in order to use
consumable generic resources?

Best,
Chris
Chris Wilk                            chris.wilk at gridwisetech.com
Senior Consultant

GridwiseTech                          office/fax: +48 12 294 71 20