[Mauiusers] Another MAXPROC query

Gianfranco Sciacca gs at hep.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 23 07:35:48 MST 2006

I use MAXPROC to limit the number of running or active state and to this
end, I have the following settings
in maui.cfg:

# Any user allowed 50 jobs in running+priority accrual state
USERCFG[DEFAULT]        FSTARGET=20+    MAXPROC=50

# No queue stuffing when people have exceeded the MAXPROC values
JOBPRIOACCRUALPOLICY    FULLPOLICY

This seemed to have worked reasonably well for some time and any user
exceeding the 50 limit would have the excess jobs placed in the
"Blocked" status. Now a user came along yesterday submitting a couple
thousand of jobs to a low priority PBS queue, but these show up in the
"Idle" status instead and are accruing priority. Here here an example of
a checkjob on the last of these submissions:

=====

checkjob  482447.pc72

checking job 482447

State: Idle
Creds:  user:spm  group:man  class:bulk  qos:DEFAULT
WallTime: 00:00:00 of 6:00:00:00
SubmitTime: Wed Nov 22 12:46:37
  (Time Queued  Total: 1:01:46:12  Eligible: 1:16:33)

Total Tasks: 1

Req[0]  TaskCount: 1  Partition: DEFAULT
Network: [NONE]  Memory >= 0  Disk >= 0  Swap >= 0
Opsys: [NONE]  Arch: [NONE]  Features: [NONE]
NodeCount: 1

IWD: [NONE]  Executable:  [NONE]
Bypass: 80  StartCount: 4
PartitionMask: [ALL]
Flags:       RESTARTABLE

PE:  1.00  StartPriority:  116
job cannot run in partition DEFAULT (idle procs do not meet requirements : 0 of 1 procs found)
idle procs:  27  feasible procs:   0

Rejection Reasons: [CPU          :    3][State        :   13][ReserveTime  :    1]
=====

Do I have a misunderstanding of the MAXPROC & JOBPRIOACCRUALPOLICY  settings?

Thanks,
gianfranco

--
Dr. Gianfranco Sciacca			Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 3044
Dept of Physics and Astronomy		Internal: 33044