[Mauiusers] mnodectl ?

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Wed Nov 8 04:58:47 MST 2006

Jacques wrote:
> I've listed the files installed by maui rpm, and found mnodectl command.
>
> No doc is available at all, nor on the supercluster.org site, nor on
> clusterresources.com
>
> I've only found an incomplete page, which seems talk about mjobctl
> instead of mnodectl.
>
> Is mnodectl usable ?
> How can we use it ?
>
> My goal is to get a node offline without having it appear on pbsnodes -l
> output. (Did I say I use Torque ?  8-) )

On the Torque level, you can set the node offline, but that means that
pbsnodes -l will report it as such. On the Torque level, you may also
remove the node from the pbs_server configuration file named 'nodes'
and pbsnodes -l will not report on it, because it does not belong to
your cluster/system any longer. (If you go down this road, please
observer that pbs_server reads the file only at startup. Perhaps
there is some nice qmgr command that will remove the node from
the configuration, without restarting pbs_server.)

On the Maui level, you can make the node unavailable for jobs by putting
it into a standing reservation, that does not allow any jobs to run within
it. This can be done in the Maui configuration file or with the setres
command and pbsnodes -l will not report on it.

I do not know anything about the mnodectl command. If you read the
src/server/UserI.c file and looks for mnodectl, you will at least see
that it is only enabled for simulation mode. If this command actually
existed and worked in production mode, I would presume that it would
tell Torque to put the node offline, in which case pbsnodes -l would
report it as offline.

Perhaps you will get better advice, if you tell us why pbsnodes -l should
not tell you about nodes that are offline. I would not like it not to.
Perhaps you can use a command wrapper that removes all offline lines
from the pbsnodes output? :-)

Best regards,
   http://www.nsc.liu.se