[Mauiusers] maui crashes with segv (version 3.2.6.p16)

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Fri Nov 3 00:19:45 MST 2006

Douglas,

  Thanks for reaction.

wightman wrote:
> I thought now would be a good time for Cluster Resources Incorporated to
> chime in and give an official position.
>
> First off, let me say that Maui is still being maintained.  There aren't
> any new features planned but bug fixes and enhancements from the
> community are always welcome and are actively applied.

That is good to hear.

Several people have posted patches or enhancements to the list with no
reaction from the maintainers. In the past i have also submitted
patches/enhancements for maui and i got a reaction if the patch will be
applied or rejected.  Some patches also fixed issues in moab ;-)

To give an example. I have posted a patch that fixes an issue with MAXPS
for our site. I submitted a bug report and asked several times to the
list if the patch will be applied, rejected or must i change the patch
so it would be applied. Till now i have not had a reaction at all ;-(

> As for the specific segv bug that this thread centers on, I have not yet
> seen a patch from the community that the community agrees should be
> applied.  As soon the community agrees on a patch it will be applied and
> a new snapshot will be released.

Somebody has to make the decision to apply a patch. Who makes the
decision? The community is a bit vague ;-).

> Many bugs, such as this specific segv, cannot be reproduced in our own
> labs simply because we don't locally maintain the large clusters that
> the community maintains.  However, should a remote site ask us to log in
> remotely to track down an issue we are always happy to do so.

To trigger the segv, you do not need a big cluster at all. I run it on a
test cluster with 2 nodes and adjusted MAX_MJOB to 32768 and submit a
lot of jobs and see if maui could cope with it. So it is a simple test.

> Cluster Resources has no plans to drop Maui.  If there is a member of
> the OSS community that believes they can act as an efficient liaison
> between Cluster Resources and the rest of the community we are happy to
> give that person admin rights to the Maui bugzilla and also enable
> direct code access.

Could this also be a team instead of one person?

Regards