[Mauiusers] maui crashes with segv (version 3.2.6.p16)

wightman wightman at clusterresources.com
Thu Nov 2 09:36:48 MST 2006

I thought now would be a good time for Cluster Resources Incorporated to
chime in and give an official position.

First off, let me say that Maui is still being maintained.  There aren't
any new features planned but bug fixes and enhancements from the
community are always welcome and are actively applied.

As for the specific segv bug that this thread centers on, I have not yet
seen a patch from the community that the community agrees should be
applied.  As soon the community agrees on a patch it will be applied and
a new snapshot will be released.

Concerning the more general "bugzilla" patches: we are not aware of any
critical patches that have not been applied.  If the community is aware
of a critical patch that hasn't been applied please let us know.  There
are certainly outstanding bugzilla items but we prefer to let the
community come up with a solution and patch which we are then happy to
apply to the code base.

As the product manager for Moab Workload Manager, I am not aware of a
single Maui community patch that has been applied to Moab but not Maui.
In fact, the majority of the Maui patches are not even applicable to
Moab as its underlying architecture has changed extensively.

Many bugs, such as this specific segv, cannot be reproduced in our own
labs simply because we don't locally maintain the large clusters that
the community maintains.  However, should a remote site ask us to log in
remotely to track down an issue we are always happy to do so.

Cluster Resources has no plans to drop Maui.  If there is a member of
the OSS community that believes they can act as an efficient liaison
between Cluster Resources and the rest of the community we are happy to
give that person admin rights to the Maui bugzilla and also enable
direct code access.

Again, if there are any patches that have yet to be applied to Maui
please bring them to our attention and we will work on getting them
applied to the code base.

Thanks for you time,

- Douglas Wightman
Directory of Software Engineering