[Mauiusers] maui and node->queue mapping

Jay Srinivasan jay at nersc.gov
Fri May 19 12:41:06 MDT 2006

Hi,

I have a question about using Maui (3.2.6p14) and PBS(Pro)'s ability to
specify node->queue mappings. In PBS one can specify that a node run
only jobs that belong to a specific queue by setting the "queue"
attribute for the node like so:

qmgr -c "s n testnode queue = special"

Then, only "special" jobs will run on "testnode" and conversely, only
"testnode" can run "special" jobs.

If I set this up while using Maui as the scheduler, Maui seems to ignore
 this and attempts to schedule the job on any node. Thus, PBS rejects
the job and it goes into the "deferred" state with the following error
from "diagnose":

State: Idle  EState: Deferred
job is deferred.  Reason:  RMFailure  (cannot start job - RM failure,
rc: 15062, msg: 'Unknown node ')
Holds:    Defer  (hold reason:  RMFailure)

Additionally, diagnose -n on the node shows all queues as being
available on the node.

The question I have is: Does Maui recognize the node->queue mapping? If
so, am I supposed to set some config options for it to work? If not, are
there other ways of accomplishing what this does (I guess creating a
standing reservation would do the same thing, but I am trying to avoid
editing maui.cfg and restarting maui everytime I want to do this).

Thanks for any help,

Jay