[Mauiusers] advance standing reservation

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Mon Mar 27 14:23:18 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:48:27PM -0500, Bill Wichser wrote:
> Environment
> -----------
> maui-3.2.6p13
> torque-1.1.0p6
> linux cluster
>
> I had this working.  Or so I thought.  But after a pbs-server reboot and
> a maui reboot, jobs just defer.
[snip]
> checking job 24640
>
> State: Idle  EState: Deferred
> Creds:  user:bill  group:bill  class:quad  qos:DEFAULT
> WallTime: 00:00:00 of 1:12:00:00
> SubmitTime: Fri Mar 10 09:32:35
>   (Time Queued  Total: 3:08:51  Eligible: 00:05:27)
>
> Total Tasks: 4
>
> Req[0]  TaskCount: 4  Partition: ALL
> Network: [NONE]  Memory >= 0  Disk >= 0  Swap >= 0
> Opsys: [NONE]  Arch: [NONE]  Features: [NONE]
>

> IWD: [NONE]  Executable:  [NONE]
> Bypass: 0  StartCount: 0
> PartitionMask: [ALL]
> Flags:       RESTARTABLE
>
> job is deferred.  Reason:  NoResources  (cannot create reservation for
> job '24640' (intital reservation attempt)
> )
> Holds:    Defer  (hold reason:  NoResources)
> PE:  4.00  StartPriority:  3087
> cannot select job 24640 for partition DEFAULT (job hold active)

I had a problem like this recently running Maui and PBSPro.  Although I
never did figure out why exactly the reservation attempts were failing,
restarting the PBS MOM on the node where maui was attempting to create a
reservation did stop jobs from being deferred.

Gabe

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
UNIX Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu