[Mauiusers] Standing Reservation not working

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Wed Mar 8 09:46:53 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 11:37 -0500, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I am having trouble creating a standing reservation.  I am running
> maui-3.0.7 and openpbs_2.4 on RH7.3.
> I have followed the manual to set up the reservation.   Jobs are being
> submitted to the pbs "test" queue.
>
> maui.cfg
> SRNAME[0] zodiac
> SRHOSTLIST[0] node124
> SRUSERLIST[0] mef2
> SRGROUPLIST[0] test
> SRPERIOD[0] INFINITY
> SRCLASSLIST[0] test
>
> The goal is to have a permanent standing reservation for node124, where
> jobs submitted by SRUSERLIST/SRGROUP will be allowed to access the node
> and no one else.  If the node is idle, it will not be used by other jobs.
>
> When node124 is offline:
> a job submitted to the test queue by user mef2 will run on any node.  My
> expectation is that the job would sit in the queue until the node was
> available and not run on any other node(s).
>
> node124 is on-line:
> a non-SRgroup/user specifies node124 in the job and submits to the test
> queue, it will run on node124.  I would expect SR would reject the job,
> due to the SR parameters.
>
> Seems like the maui SR is not being read by pbs, even though SRCLASSLIST
> is defined as test.
> User mef2/group test, is the only user allowed to submit jobs to the
> queue test.  Specified via acl_users/groups.
>
> Do I need to define QOS parameters as well?  Based on the manual, it
> does not seem like I have to.
> Any help would be appreciated.

AFAIK, access controls on standing reservations in Maui (eg. SRUSERLIST,
SRGROUPLIST, SRCLASSLIST) are logically OR-ed together, so your
reservation is in effect saying that anything owned by mef2 *OR* in
group test *OR* in class test is allowed to access the node.  I think
this will do what you want if you comment out the SRGROUPLIST and
SRCLASSLIST rules and just use SRUSERLIST.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701