[Mauiusers] MAXPROC soft and hard limits

Neelesh Arora narora at Princeton.EDU
Fri Jun 30 10:30:55 MDT 2006

Hi,

I have implemented the soft/hard limits on the MAXPROC parameter, as per
the maui manual (maui version 3.2.6p13, torque 2.0.0p2), but I am seeing
unexpected behavior:

- defined the parameter group-wise as follows
GROUPCFG[A]        MAXPROC=100,200
GROUPCFG[B]        MAXPROC=50,175
GROUPCFG[C]        MAXPROC=40,175
GROUPCFG[DEFAULT]  MAXPROC=30,175

- there are 5 cpus free and no jobs are in Q. Here is the group-wise
processor usage (active procs used):
group A		8
group B		10
group C		57
group other1	61
group other2	5
group X		88

- A user from group X then submits several more jobs. Each of these jobs
remains in Q state with checkjob reporting that "job 55059 violates
active SOFT MAXPROC limit of 30 for group X". There are still 5 cpus free.

This does not seem normal. I would have expected that group X would be
allowed to run jobs until they hit total procs=175, since there are no
other competing jobs. Infact, the way I read the manual, this setup
would allow groups 'other1', 'other2' and X to go upto max 175 procs
each. Right?

Also, the diagnostic message from maui is misleading. The soft-limit of
30 has long been crossed !

Can anyone suggest what am I missing in this picture? What's the
correlation between these numbers?

Thanks.

-Neel