[Mauiusers] How to activate the MAXNODE limit in Maui?

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Fri Jun 9 07:01:41 MDT 2006

Using Maui (version 3.2.6p16) and Torque, I am not able to
get the MAXNODE limit to work.

We have clusters with two CPUs on each node and want to
limit a queue (or, approximately as good, a QOS) to at most
50 nodes, i.e. the number of the nodes that the running jobs
of the queue together have allocated is at most 50. We expect
to get qsub calls with a mix of 'nodes=X:ppn=1' and
'nodes=X:ppn=2' specifications and in neither case do we want
the nodes to be shared with other jobs.

So we specify

JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY	EXACTNODE
NODEACCESSPOLICY	SINGLEJOB

CLASSCFG[test3]		QDEF=qostest
QOSCFG[qostest]		MAXNODE=50

I am sorry to say that no limitation seens to be active
here! When specifying e.g. 'nodes=80:ppn=2', the job
will happily start anyway.

There is code in Maui to handle 'MAXNODE' specifications,
but it does not work. Could someone please help me with this?
(Neither does MAXNODE work on single-CPU nodes.)

You might think that I should change my specification to use
'MAXPROC':

JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY	EXACTNODE
NODEACCESSPOLICY	SINGLEJOB

CLASSCFG[test3]		QDEF=qostest
QOSCFG[qostest]		MAXPROC=100

This actually works as long as ':ppn=2' is used, but a
job specified as 'nodes=90:ppn=1' will start, allocating
an overwhelming 90 nodes, i.e. 180 processes.

Thankful for any good ideas or a working patch,
   http://www.nsc.liu.se