[Mauiusers] Moab 4.5.0 Announcement

Nick Ihli nick at clusterresources.com
Tue Jan 31 10:44:36 MST 2006

Greetings,

We are pleased to announce the formal release and general availability
of Moab 4.5.0. This release sets new standards in cluster workload
management, adding more power while making cluster administration easier
than ever before. You can find more information on Moab at
www.clusterresources.com/moab and for free evaluation software see
www.clusterresources.com/eval.

Moab 4.5.0 culminates months of design, development, and implementation
of features required by leading-edge sites throughout the world. These
enhancements have continued to propel Moab's leadership in many areas of
resource and workload management including:

- Increased Environmental Awareness

Moab can import more information about the overall cluster environment
and both steer around potential issues and take advantage of dynamic
opportunities

- Improved Event Tracking and Automated Adjustments

Moab helps organizations visualize virtually every aspect of cluster
operation as it applies to system performance. It identifies
relationships between jobs and network, storage, and compute resources.
Moab also helps to find bottlenecks and enables rules allowing the
scheduler to optimize its behavior around these constraints.

- Simplified Grid Management

Create productive, real-world grids as manageable as a single, unified
cluster.

- Utility Computing

If you are a commercial organization, you may want to think about new
business models in which you offer not just information, but real
compute and application services running inside a dynamically customized
and secured virtual cluster. With the click of a mouse, you can provide
a customer-centric end-to-end turnkey solution that allows the customer
to fully utilize your information, your software, your compute
resources, or your custom environment. Ask us for information on what we
are already doing for some of the biggest names in the industry.

- Ease of Use

Over the last year, we have made a concerted effort to 'deprecate' the
log file so even though it will always be available, the diagnostics in
Moab would be powerful enough to render it nearly unused. Reported
issues, both system failures and user errors, helped us enhance Moab to
allow its built-in diagnostic commands to not just identify the source
of the failure, but where possible, recommend steps to correct the
issues. Moab 4.5.0 is like having an expert that monitors your jobs,
nodes, users, and more built into every cluster. Best practices
knowledge is now available within Moab by simply running 'mdiag'. This
capability translates directly into increased availability and
productivity.

- New Architectures and Platforms

We have extended the power of Moab to provide tight integration with
numerous new architectures including: Cray XT3, SGI Altix, and
Quadric/RMS platforms with development already underway for BlueGene and
many more architectures. We have also enhanced support for LSF, PBS,
TORQUE, Ganglia, Loadleveler, SLURM, and many other resource managers,
license managers, and network and storage control systems.

- General Feature Enhancements

Moab’s enhancements in 4.5.0 cover improvements in the following:
network management, storage management, grid, political policies,
co-allocation, dynamic jobs, application virtualization, resource
manager integration, scalability, job translation, and hundreds of other
spaces too numerous to cover here. If you have needs in workload
management, scheduling resource orchestration, and other policy-centric
system intelligence, Moab can probably handle it. People have said for
years that our products are the most advanced in the industry. Come find
out how this can help your organization and why adoption of this
technology is growing so rapidly.

Regards,
Nick
Cluster Resources, Inc.