[Mauiusers] maui + gold and non-default groups

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Jan 4 19:45:32 MST 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 01:39, Aquarijen wrote:

/*
 * CC'd to the Torqueusers list as this might be a handy hint for people
 * Googling for suggestions on how to do this in the future.
 */

> I have maui hooked into gold and every user has a default group and
> all is right with the world -- a user will run a job and the correct
> corresponding gol d project/account is debited.  Now, I have users who
> need to belong to two projects/accounts.  I can set this up in gold,
> but how does the user tell maui to use the non-default group?

We don't use Gold, but we do a very similar thing with our FairShare
configuration which also uses the users primary group.

We've found that the simplest way (probably because it was designed for just
this purpose) was to use the group_list that you set with the -W option to
qsub.

So if you want to change the primary UNIX group of a job to one of the ones in
your supplementary groups list then this works for us:

qsub -W group_list=othergroup {blah}

or:

#PBS -W group_list=othergroup

The nice part is that if the group you name isn't in your supplementary list
then it qsub fails immediately with a useful error message rather than
accepting the job and the user only finding out later that there was a
problem.

For example:

$ qsub -W group_list=bogus ./pbs-script
qsub: Bad GID for job execution