[Mauiusers] GRES and maui question for software licenses

Mike Renfro renfro at tntech.edu
Mon Dec 18 17:18:42 MST 2006

Prakash Velayutham wrote:
> when a user requests that software, he should be given both the CPUs in
> the node regardless of what he requests, as the software takes up a lot of RAM (almost 6 - 7
> GB). How can I make this condition work?

Two things should handle it:

1. In torque, set a default amount of memory requested for a normal job.
It doesn't have to be realistic, but it can't be tiny, either. 1-2 GB,
perhaps?

2. On your memory hog jobs, enter '#PBS -l mem=7168mb' or similar into
his job files, replacing 7168mb with slightly less memory than
'pbsnodes' reports free when the node is idle.

Combining those two should allow two normal jobs to run without
problems, even if they get substantially larger than 1gb each. But your
hog jobs will request nearly all the memory on the system, and jobs that
default to requesting 1 GB of memory will get pushed to other systems.

Granted, if someone had a tiny memory job, they could also explicitly
request the 50 MB or whatever it might require and sneak onto the hog's
system. But if they're estimating their needs accurately, and your hog
job is really only using one CPU, there's no harm there.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro at tntech.edu