[torqueusers] Re: [Mauiusers] maui memory consumption with MMAX_JOBredefined

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Wed Aug 9 08:55:24 MDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:59:15AM +0200, Ronny T. Lampert alleged:
> >>Ooh, I may have missed something: we regularly hit maui with 5k jobs
> >>daily--the default for MMAX_JOB is 4096.  What does this actually mean?
> >>Only 4096 will be considered by maui at a time?  (ie, left in the RM)
> > Correct.  Any jobs after the max are simply ignored.
>
> Yeah, but that's my problem. If the queue is flooded (which is ok in my
> case) and someone submits a job into the short queue, won't this one be
> ignored if only 4K jobs are considered?

Right.  This is the whole point behind the routing queue strategy.  It
keeps a user in queue1 from loading up 4k jobs and blocking out users in
other queues.  By holding the jobs in the routing queues and trickling
them down into the execution queues, you gain control over what is
presented to maui.

> Or is the 4K limit _per queue_ (following your description it's server-wide) ?

Server-wide, but maui only sees jobs in execution queues.