[Mauiusers] Suspended jobs resume execution

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at uni.de
Wed Apr 19 07:31:33 MDT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get maui's suspend feature to work (migrating from torque's
native pbs_sched); the idea is to suspend long running jobs when short ones
are submitted, either manually thru the users or by the scheduler after a
certain "starving" time.

Torque has 2 queues, "default" and "short".
"short" automatically defines 2:00 as walltime limit, "default" has no
walltime limit set:

# default
set queue default resources_default.nodes = 1:ppn=1

# short
set queue short resources_max.walltime = 02:00:00
set queue short resources_default.nodes = 1:ppn=1
set queue short resources_default.walltime = 02:00:00

According to the docs I've set up maui.cfg:

PREEMPTPOLICY           SUSPEND

CLASSCFG[default]       FLAGS=PREEMPTEE
CLASSCFG[short]         FLAGS=PREEMPTOR MAXNODE=8,12

QOSCFG[short]           PRIORITY=100 QFLAGS=PREEMPTOR
QOSCFG[default]         PRIORITY=500 QFLAGS=PREEMPTEE

At the moment all nodes are in use via "default" jobs.
I submitted a couple to short, then I tried manually to suspend a "default"
job via

#> mjobctl -s <JOBID>

That worked, BUT no job from "short" is started; instead, after the next
maui scheduling run, the suspended job goes back to state "Running".

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ronny