[Mauiusers] cleaning up "ncpus" mess

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Apr 3 12:29:32 MDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:38:25PM +0200, Alessandro Federico alleged:
> hi Garrick,
>
> i'm trying your patch on my dual Opteron cluster and
> it seems to work. i'm very happy because i plan to use
> torque/maui on our IBM SMP cluster (8 cpus per node)
> where i would like to request cpus (not nodes=X:ppn=Y)
> and let the scheduler choose the nodes.
> on the opteron cluster i discoverd that, if i submit
> a job with -l ncpus=4, maui creates only one task
> (with PROCS=4) and the job will never run because it
> cannot find a node (with 4 cpus) to satisfy the task.
> it seems a strange behaviour!
>
> anyway, thank you very much. i will give you feed back
> as soon as i will try your patch on the IBM.

Yah, about that patch... it didn't work so well.  I found out later that
in some cases Maui allocated 1 CPU to jobs.  I think it happened when
resources weren't available when the job was first submitted; subsequent
attempts to run the job only got 1 CPU.

> PS: why did nobody reply you?

*shrug*  because I hardly ever get replies when I ask people to test
stuff.

University of Southern California