[Mauiusers] Limit number of idle jobs per queue per user ?

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Thu Sep 15 01:31:45 MDT 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:42:33 +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:35 pm, Chris Samuel wrote:
>
> > I don't know if I can fake it with something like:
> >
> > CLASSCFG[DEFAULT] MAXIJOB=25
> > USERCFG[DEFAULT] MAXIJOB=30,40
> >
> > To my mind that should say that everything over 25 jobs per class (queue)
> > will be blocked, and then set the users limit slightly higher so that the
> > jobs that are in another queue will filter through.
>
> Nope, it appears that you cannot specify a CLASSCFG based MAXIJOB restriction.
>
> The above functions the same as just the USERCFG line, and commenting out the
> USERCFG and restarting gives no limits at all. :-(

If your 'CLASSCFG[DEFAULT] MAXIJOB=25' would work, I think that it would
mean that no queue can have more idle members than 25, meaning that in a
specific queue one user can monopolize it. Something like
'CLASSCFG[DEFAULT] MAXIJOBPERUSER=25' looks more like what your are looking
for, meaning that we are really into the multidimensional marshes of Maui.

I got bitten also, trying to put MAXIJOBPERUSER on CLASSES. I wanted one queue
with a MAXIJOB limit and another with one, but did not succeed. In my case,
it was nearly OK to but the limits on GROUP and USER, though. In your case
it is not.

You could give each user two Unix logins, one for each queue, but it seems too
gross. Maybe you should look into associating MAXIJOB definitions to
ACCESSCFG lines? I have not tried it out, but if it works it would be slightly
less gross to the user, only needing to specify a little more at job
submission to get the job through.

   http://www.nsc.liu.se