[Mauiusers] Limit number of idle jobs per queue per user ?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Sep 15 00:35:35 MDT 2005

Hi folks,

One of the groups I help out has a Torque/Maui cluster that has two queues,
one for Linux jobs and one for AIX jobs (they've got a single 4 CPU Power4
box tacked on).

They're using software that will happily chuck 800 jobs into the queue at a
time, and so I've set USERCFG[DEFAULT] MAXIJOB=30,40 to make sure that queue
stuffers don't stop others from getting a look in.

However, now they've pointed out that *after* they've submitted these 800+
jobs to the Linux queue they can't submit an AIX job and have it run because
it is (of course) listed as blocked.

So, what I'd like to do is have a USERCFG[DEFAULT] that's per queue rather
than being across all queues - is that possible with Maui ?

I don't know if I can fake it with something like:

CLASSCFG[DEFAULT] MAXIJOB=25
USERCFG[DEFAULT] MAXIJOB=30,40

To my mind that should say that everything over 25 jobs per class (queue) will
be blocked, and then set the users limit slightly higher so that the jobs
that are in another queue will filter through.

I might try that and see what happens, but if anyone else has any better ideas
I'd love to hear them!

thanks,
Chris