[Mauiusers] Suppressing the listing of blocked jobs ?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Sep 5 17:06:09 MDT 2005

Hi folks,

We've got a user here who's suddenly started submitting a thousand (or a
couple of thousand) jobs to the queues.

Now our MAXIJOB policy in Moab works and all the excess jobs end up listed as
being blocked, but it's still very intimidating for our users to type "showq"
and suddenly watch a couple of thousand of lines of jobs scroll past and they
often think (incorrectly) that there's no point in submitting a job on that
cluster.

What we'd *really* like is for showq to just say there are N thousand blocked
jobs and to tell the user to pass the "-b" option to see them.

I know it's partly an issue of user education, but we've got around 400 users
from 7 universities (and climbing) and for a lot of them a computer is just a
tool that they're using to get their physics/chem/economics/etc PhD. Finding
out that they have to use the command line is often a big enough shock to
them..

I guess this would be just as valid for Maui as well.

I'd be happy if it was a compile time option to turn it on too..

cheers,
Chris