[Mauiusers] USAGE Job priority factor?

Åke Sandgren ake.sandgren at hpc2n.umu.se
Wed Oct 26 10:03:31 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:37 +0100, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the suggestion. We already use fairshare, but from my understanding
> of fairshare I don't see how I can use it for what I want to accomplish.
>
> At the moment I have a 40+ fairshare target for a group of users (group nhd)
> (those who paid part of the cluster), so it works fine for them.
>
> But how could I say to Maui "if someone is already running something or he/she
> has run something during the last few days give his/her jobs less priority"?
>
> For starters, I do not want to specify the fairshare target for each individual
> user, as users come and go, and that would mean changing the policies
> regularly. What I would like to say to Maui is: "just try to make the fairshare
> usage equal for all users, except the group nhd, which has a 40% target", and I
> don't see how to do this.
>
> Also if I set user A and B a fairshare target of, say, 10, then once both of
> them have gotten a fairshare above 10, then Maui would not take this into
> consideration, right? If user A has used 60% and user B has used 15%, Maui would
> not give advantage to user B, which doesn't look fair... By rereading the
> documentation, maybe I'm wrong in this. Maybe this was true in the case of a
> fairshare target of 10+ but not if the target was set to 10, right?

It sounds to me as if you dont use negative priority...
We have
REJECTNEGPRIOJOBS       FALSE
ENABLENEGJOBPRIORITY    TRUE
resulting in users (or accounts in our case) having used more then their
fairshare target getting a negative priority (at least the FS part is
the rest depends on the weights) and if both have target 10 and A has
used 65 and B 15 B's priority would be higher then A's but still
negative and C (who has used 1) will have a higher priority.

What i'm not sure about is how groups/user fairshare combinations
interact except for the different weights.