[Mauiusers] building maui against PBSPro v7.1

Andrew J Caird acaird at umich.edu
Wed Oct 19 13:37:58 MDT 2005

Hello maui users (this may also apply to Moab users);

We recently tried to build the latest maui snapshot against the lastest
version of PBSPro from Altair.  We had installed PBSPro v7 and applied
service pack 1; the version reported by the server is PBSPro_7.1.0.52306.

The configure worked, but the build failed with the errors:

MPBSI.c: In function `__MPBSGetNodeState':
MPBSI.c:1741: error: `ND_reserve' undeclared (first use in this function)
MPBSI.c:1741: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
MPBSI.c:1741: error: for each function it appears in.)
MPBSI.c: In function `MPBSNodeLoad':
MPBSI.c:2580: error: `ND_cluster' undeclared (first use in this function)
MPBSI.c: In function `MPBSNodeUpdate':
MPBSI.c:3290: error: `ND_cluster' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [MPBSI.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/maui-3.2.6p14/src/moab'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This appears to be due to the fact that the defines for ND_reserve and
ND_cluster aren't in pbs_ifl.h any more.  They were in the unpatched
version of PBSPro, and went away with the patch.

Those defines in older versions of PBSPro were:

#define ND_reserve           "reserve"
#define ND_cluster           "cluster"

and adding those to some commonly included file (I choose moab.h) lets
maui build successfully.

However, that doesn't seem to work; the jobs are deferred with the error:
   RMFailure  (job cannot be started - cannot set hostlist)

I haven't tried to debug this much, but if anyone is running PBSPro v7 and
Maui, and hasn't yet applied the service pack 1 patch, you might want to
wait.

I was expecting the API for PBS to remain stable, at least within a
version (v7.x), and I haven't spoken with Altair yet, but hopefully this
will prevent someone from the pain we're seeing.

I'll follow-up to the list as I learn more.

--andy