[Mauiusers] MAUI miscounts total running user specific jobs ... user MAXJOB limit is affected

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Tue Nov 29 14:15:30 MST 2005

All,

I am running a snap-shot of Maui from October and have user MAXJOB
limits specifed as:

 >>USERCFG[rbw]      PRIORITY=100 MAXPROC=128 MAXJOB=40 QDEF=default

which should allow 40 jobs to run as user 'rbw', but allows only half
that number because Maui
FALSELY counts active/running jobs at 40 when there are only 20
running!  If I double the
MAXJOB twice as many will run, but still only half the number
specified.  Somehow running
jobs are being double counted.  With only 20 running, checkjob on the
21st job (19475) yields:

 >>job 19475 violates active SOFT MAXJOB limit of 40 for user rbw (R: 1,
U: 40)

The line above is reported from MJob.c after a MPolicyCheckLimit() call:

sprintf(Message,"job %s violates %s %s %s limit of %d for %s %s %s (R:
%d, U: %d)\n",
                J->Name,
                MType[mindex],
                MPolicyMode[PLevel],
                MPolicyType[PList[pindex]],
                tmpI,
                MXO[OList2[oindex2]],
                (OID != NULL) ? OID : NONE,
                (oindex1 != mxoNONE) ? MXO[OList1[oindex1]] : "",
                JUsage[PList[pindex]],
 ***         OP->Usage[PList[pindex]][0]);

OP->Usage[PList[pindex]][0] contains the wrong value, but finding where
this value
for the running job count is accumulated is not easy with all the
pointer aliasing.  I think
OP is set above in a 'case' statement tree to:

OP = &J->Cred.U->L.AP;

but am not sure.   In what routine are running job totals for a giving
user accumulated?
What is the name of the structure.element where this number is held
(???->Usage[0][0])?

We have a go-around, but I would like to fix and recompile ...

Thanks for your thoughts ...

Richard Walsh

--

Richard B. Walsh

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.