[Fwd: [Mauiusers] Patch for nodeaccespolicy SINGLEJOB and MAXPS for SMPmachines]

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Mon Nov 28 05:01:05 MST 2005

Dave Jackson wrote:
> Bas,
>
>   The patch looks good but I do not know if the resulting behavior is
> globally desired.  It is clear that if a user requests two procs per
> node he should be 'charged' for them.  However, if the scheduler
> allocates resources to the job based on other admin-specified policies,
> the correct action is less clear.

That is why this patch only checks if the SINGLEJOB policy was set. If
so then calculate the resources differently, because the user owns the
whole node and it make now difference for use if the machine as 1,2,4 or
more processors. Mabye we can repport how efficent he/she uses the node.

>   The correct solution may be to create a new policy, perhaps
> 'USAGELIMITTRACKINGPOLICY' with a value of either 'requested' or
> 'dedicated'.  In the first, the user will have his usage limits
> 'charged' based on what he requested, regardless of how the scheduler or
> other admin policies delivered resources, the second would charge based
> on what was delivered, regardless of what was requested.
>
>   Would this approach cover your needs?

It sounds oke for me.