[Mauiusers] torque, maui out of sync

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Sat Nov 19 15:05:14 MST 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:05:05AM -0700, Austin Godber alleged:
> Chris Samuel wrote:
> >>Any idea why maui wouldn't recognize a queue defined and enabled in
> >>torque?
> >

> ><clutching_at_straws>
> >
> >Have you restarted Maui since you created them ?
> >
> ></clutching_at_straws>
>
> Yes, I did.  But that raises a good question.  For every change I make
> in torque, do I have to restart maui?  Maui doesn't get updated if I add
> a queue or just change a single setting.  It looks like maui doesn't see
> the change.  Is there a way to force it to do so, without completely
> restarting maui?

Maui _should_ also see changes every scheduling interval.  Anything else
is a bug and should be fixed.

> I believe the problem I had originally was somehow related to my use of
> 	CLASSCFG[classname]	MAXPROC=80
> I believe that the queues that weren't working didn't have CLASSCFG
> statements in my maui.cfg.  Does that make sense?

Yes, I always make sure my execution queues have CLASSCFG lines, just to
make sure they are defined in maui before jobs start flowing in.  I
think there's a bug or two floating in there that I haven't explored
yet.

> Actually, why doesn't showconfig show settings made in maui.cfg?  It
> clearly honors them because I can see when jobs hit soft and hard
> limits.  But showconfig only ever shows settings it picks up from torque.

showconfig hardly shows anything that is actually valid for CLASSCFG.
QOS flags, job flags, etc. are all missing from the output.  'diagnose
-c' does a better job.

> I have fixed the queues I first mentioned by completely removing the
> CLASSCFG settings from my maui.cfg but I still have a queue that maui
> doesn't see.
>
> and a diagnose -c does not show the queue at all.  But for jobs
> submitted to this queue the maui.log says:

I think you have hit the default limit on the number of classes.  See
MAX_MCLASS in include/msched-common.h and
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/a.ddevelopment.shtml

University of Southern California