[Mauiusers] timesharing configuration

Yaroslav Halchenko maui at onerussian.com
Tue Mar 22 08:51:37 MST 2005

Dear Maui Gurus,

I am in need for advice.
I have a cluster which I setup to use torque + maui.

ii  torque         1.1.0p4-4      Tera-scale Open-source Resource and QUEue ma
ii  maui           3.2.6p11-2y1   Scheduler for PBS-based and other cluster en

The problem is that I want to have timesharing on the nodes, ie that
each node should be capable of running more jobs than # of CPUs it
really has.

The simplest way to accomplish was to setup nodes as cluster nodes in
torque (pbs) with np=2*real_cpus. That kinda works but still stinks (for
instance right at the moment it doesn't allocate my jobs although I
don't see any constraints which could forbid it from doing so) so
I thought to setup nodes as timeshared (:ts in pbs nodes configuration),
but then it doesn't work at all - maui doesn't allocate more than a
single job per node although in maui.cfg I have NODEMAXLOAD 6.00

I've provided full configuration of the system (together with outputs of
diagnoze etc) at

(node25 is off)

Please help me to resolve why maui doesn't allocate jobs right at the
moment and I would really appreciate if you just bombard me with working
config files for timeshared configuration of maui + torque (PBS)

Thank you very much in advance

Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark
Office: (973) 353-5440x263 | FWD: 82823 | Fax: (973) 353-1171
Student  Ph.D. @ CS Dept. NJIT, Master @ CS Dept. UNM