[Mauiusers] timesharing configuration

Yaroslav Halchenko maui at onerussian.com
Tue Mar 22 08:51:37 MST 2005

Dear Maui Gurus,

I am in need for advice.
I have a cluster which I setup to use torque + maui.

ii  torque         1.1.0p4-4      Tera-scale Open-source Resource and QUEue ma
ii  maui           3.2.6p11-2y1   Scheduler for PBS-based and other cluster en

The problem is that I want to have timesharing on the nodes, ie that
each node should be capable of running more jobs than # of CPUs it
really has.

The simplest way to accomplish was to setup nodes as cluster nodes in
torque (pbs) with np=2*real_cpus. That kinda works but still stinks (for
instance right at the moment it doesn't allocate my jobs although I
don't see any constraints which could forbid it from doing so) so
I thought to setup nodes as timeshared (:ts in pbs nodes configuration),
but then it doesn't work at all - maui doesn't allocate more than a
single job per node although in maui.cfg I have NODEMAXLOAD 6.00

I've provided full configuration of the system (together with outputs of
diagnoze etc) at
http://onerussian.com/Linux/bugs/maui1/

(node25 is off)

Please help me to resolve why maui doesn't allocate jobs right at the
moment and I would really appreciate if you just bombard me with working
config files for timeshared configuration of maui + torque (PBS)

Thank you very much in advance

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark