[Mauiusers] Re: Contents of mauiusers Digest, Vol 8, Issue 2

Jerry Smith jdsmit at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 3 11:15:22 MST 2005

mauiusers-request at supercluster.org wrote:

>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. What happens when jobs go over their walltime? (Angel de Vicente)

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:58:14 +0000
>From: Angel de Vicente <angelv at iac.es>
>Subject: [Mauiusers] What happens when jobs go over their walltime?
>To: mauiusers at supercluster.org
>
>Hi,
>
>I've been looking at the parameters for Maui, and I see that there is one called
>JOBMAXOVERRUN that almost does what I want... I would like to be able to cancel
>a job if it exceeds its walltime by, say, 50%. Can this be done somehow? It
>looks unfair to set JOBMAXOVERRUN to a fixed amount. For example 1 hour of
>overrun for a 1 week job is almost nothing, but for a 20 minutes one is quite an
>overrun.
>

>And assuming the job is cancelled, what happens to it? In our current
>installation of OpenPBS we have a script that goes around the nodes killing the
>processes of cancelled jobs. Do we have to write something similar or does the
>Maui/Torque combination provide something already?

The parameter  *WCVIOLATIONACTION  *can either preempt the job (provided
your application handles preemption) , or cancel it entirely.

>An aside: I also see in the documentation some interesting parameters, like
>ENFORCERESOURCELIMITS, SYSTEMDEFAULTJOBWALLTIME or SYSTEMMAXPROCSECONDPERJOB,
>but neither "showconfig" or "showconfig -v" show them. How can I know their
>values?

Looking in the documentation, you can see the default values of each
Parameter adjacent to the parameter, ie..
*ENFORCERESOURCELIMITS* 	<BOOLEAN> 	FALSE

As for defaults for queuing resources, we let the server (torque) handle
that.

Good luck,

Jerry Smith
jdsmit at sandia.gov