[Mauiusers] What happens when jobs go over their walltime?

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Thu Mar 3 04:58:14 MST 2005

Hi,

I've been looking at the parameters for Maui, and I see that there is one called
JOBMAXOVERRUN that almost does what I want... I would like to be able to cancel
a job if it exceeds its walltime by, say, 50%. Can this be done somehow? It
looks unfair to set JOBMAXOVERRUN to a fixed amount. For example 1 hour of
overrun for a 1 week job is almost nothing, but for a 20 minutes one is quite an
overrun.

And assuming the job is cancelled, what happens to it? In our current
installation of OpenPBS we have a script that goes around the nodes killing the
processes of cancelled jobs. Do we have to write something similar or does the
Maui/Torque combination provide something already?

An aside: I also see in the documentation some interesting parameters, like
ENFORCERESOURCELIMITS, SYSTEMDEFAULTJOBWALLTIME or SYSTEMMAXPROCSECONDPERJOB,
but neither "showconfig" or "showconfig -v" show them. How can I know their
values?

Thanks a lot,
Angel de Vicente