[Mauiusers] PBS/Maui for SMP

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Mon Jul 4 10:32:50 MDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 11:34:10PM +0800, group hpc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to setup Maui with PBS on SMP machine?
> Why should I add "#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=10" to request correct no.
> processors on SMP machine and not just use "#PBS -l ncpus=10" ? Pls
> advice...

You should be able to use either nodes=1:ppn=10 or ncpus=10, provided that
you don't have support for multi-node jobs and/or only have one node.  You
should also be able to specify -l nodes=1,ncpus=10, though I've found that
to be handled somewhat less consistently depending on what version of PBS
one is using.  I know that in recent versions of PBSPro (5.4 and above),
its scheduler will ignore -l ncpus entirely when -l nodes:ppn is
specified.  This behavior was recently emulated by the Maui/Moab developers
in a snapshot of Moab to keep things consistent with the pbs_resources
documentation in those versions of PBSPro.

HTH,

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
UNIX Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu