[Mauiusers] "consumable resources" questions

Dave Jackson jacksond at clusterresources.com
Fri Jan 28 16:10:53 MST 2005

Suzanne,

  I am a bit confused by some of the questions below.  With regards to
consumable resources, By default, Maui enforces tracking and reservation
of consumable resources specified by user jobs.  If a user request a
certain number of processors and a certain amount of memory, Maui will
dedicate these resources to that job so that no other job can use them.
Maui also provides limited support for 'generic' consumable resources
allowing a job to request '6 widgets'.

> if I have specified that I want to use "backfill" in Maui.cfg I will
get "consumable resources and backfill"?

Yes.

> How do you make sure that the highest priority job doesn't get pushed
out too far in the future by squeezing in smaller jobs.

  Maui's backfill reserves resources for the highest priority job.
Thus, the smaller backfilled jobs will not affect this job's start time.
See the 'Backfill Overview' and 'Backfill Algorithm' sections of the
online docs at http://clusterresources.com/moabdocs/8.2backfill.shtml

> Also how does the "consumable resources" support work? Is it
scheduling jobs on  FIFO basis? Or does it use the "fairness throttling
policies" the same way "backfill" is? Does it have 2 passes also?

  I think there may be confusion here.  Consumable resources, backfill,
throttling policies, prioritization, fairshare, etc, are all enabled
simultaneously.  If you have already gone through the docs, please let
us know and we will attempt to clarify these topics further.

> Is there a way that I can restrict the "consumable resources" support
to a given partition? to a given set of nodes? Do I have to do that via
the underlying resource manager?

  Can you provide a usage scenario where a site would like to take
advantage of this capability?  It is possible what you want already
exists.  If so, we can point you to the needed docs, if not, we may be
able to add the needed support.

Dave