[Mauiusers] ppn=2 specification ignored

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Thu Jan 13 08:13:03 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 03:53, Georg Hager wrote:
> > When a job specifies -l nodes=X:ppn=2, it sometimes happens that
> > nodes on our dual-Xeon cluster are not scheduled as a whole,
> > but that MAUI uses single CPUs (half nodes), as if the user had
> > used ppn=1. This is a rare case, but it happens from time to time.
>
> I have gathered some more information on this. Here is the Maui log
> snippet for a job that had specified nodes=4:ppn=2 but for which Maui
> decided to schedule three full nodes plus two single CPUs:
[logs elided for brevity]

> So Maui gets the correct '4:ppn=2' spec, but ignores (?) it...
>
> Can anyone help with this?

Try setting the following in your maui.cfg:

JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY EXACTNODE

The default on this is "EXACTPROC", which gives you the number of
processors you asked for but not necessarily the node geometry (nodes X
ppn).

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       email:  troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    phone:  614-292-9701
Ohio Supercomputer Center       web:  http://oscinfo.osc.edu