[Mauiusers] MAXPROCPERJOB for a queue

Alessandro Federico alessandro.federico at caspur.it
Wed Jan 12 07:45:51 MST 2005

hi all,

in my 24 nodes (2-way SMP) cluster with TORQUE 1.1.0p4 and Maui 3.2.6p11
I have defined a queue serial and a queue parallel.

Here is my torque config

Queue: batch
     queue_type = Route
     total_jobs = 0
     state_count = Transit:0 Queued:0 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:0 Exiting:0
     route_destinations = serial,parallel
     enabled = True
     started = True

Queue: parallel
     queue_type = Execution
     total_jobs = 5
     state_count = Transit:0 Queued:1 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:4 Exiting:0
     resources_max.nodect = 8
     resources_max.walltime = 08:00:00
     resources_default.nodect = 1
     resources_default.nodes = 1:ppn=2
     resources_default.walltime = 01:00:00
     resources_assigned.nodect = 16
     enabled = True
     started = True

Queue: serial
     queue_type = Execution
     total_jobs = 0
     state_count = Transit:0 Queued:0 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:0 Exiting:0
     resources_max.nodect = 1
     resources_max.walltime = 24:00:00
     resources_default.nodect = 1
     resources_default.nodes = 1:ppn=1
     resources_default.walltime = 01:00:00
     resources_assigned.nodect = 0
     enabled = True
     started = True

I want that job entering the serial queues cannot request more than
one processor. The CLASSCFG of my maui.cfg is as follows:

CLASSCFG[serial]     MAXNODEPERJOB=1  MAXPROCPERJOB=1
CLASSCFG[parallel]   MAXNODEPERJOB=8  MAXPROCPERJOB=16

and 'diagnose -c' gives correctly:

Class/Queue Status

Name           Priority Flags        QDef              QOSList*
PartitionList        Target Limits

serial                0 [NONE]       serial           serial:0  [NONE]
               0.00  [NONE]
   MAXNODEPERJOB=1  MAXPROCPERJOB=1
parallel              0 [NONE]       parallel       parallel:0  [NONE]
               0.00  [NONE]
   MAXNODEPERJOB=8  MAXPROCPERJOB=16
batch                 0 [NONE]       [NONE]             [NONE]  [NONE]
               0.00  [NONE]

However if a user submit a job requesting one node and two processor
(qsub -l nodes=1:ppn=2), this job will be scheduled into the serial queue.
Does anyone know why MAXPROCPERJOB doesn't work?

Thank you

Ale

           Alessandro Federico
           CASPUR  -  http://www.caspur.it/

           e-mail:    alessandro.federico at caspur.it
           phone:     +39 06 44486708
           fax:       +39 06 4957083
  "Qualsiasi via e' solo una via, e non c'e' nessun affronto,
   a se stessi o agli altri, nell'abbandonarla, se questo e'
   cio' che il tuo cuore ti dice di fare... Esamina ogni via
   con accuratezza e ponderazione. Provala tutte le volte che
   lo ritieni necessario. Quindi poni a te stesso, e a te
   stesso soltanto, una domanda... Questa via ha un cuore?
   Se lo ha, la via e' buona. Se non lo ha, non serve a niente."

                 Carlos Castaneda, The teachings of Don Juan