[Mauiusers] MOAB standing reservations broken ?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Jan 3 22:32:54 MST 2005

Can we have a Bugzilla option for Moab please ? :-)

Before Newtonmas/Xmas I noticed that our standing reservation of two nodes
that had used to work well for jobs less than 15 minutes walltime and 4 cpus
or less was no longer being used.

Config follows:

SRCFG[sque] STARTTIME=08:00:00 ENDTIME=20:00:00
SRCFG[sque] PERIOD=DAY DAYS=MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI
SRCFG[sque] PROCLIMIT<=4 DEPTH=7
SRCFG[sque] TASKCOUNT=2 FLAGS=SPACEFLEX
SRCFG[sque] MAXTIME=00:15:00+*
SRCFG[sque] ACCESS=DEDICATEDRESOURCE

For some reason although eligible jobs were being granted access (as confirmed
with checkjob -r) they would not run on those nodes unless forced to start
with runjob.  These jobs would run on other nodes if they were spare, or on
those in the reservation once it expired at 8pm!

If I specifically asked for that reservation by doing:

 qsub -q sque -W x=FLAGS:ADVRES:sque.0.98 -I

(the sque gives a default walltime of 10 minutes) then the jobs would never
start unless I did a runjob on them.

Because this effectively meant that two nodes were doing zip whilst the
reservation was in force I removed it for the holidays as we had (and still
have) a big queue of jobs waiting to go, so there's not going to be any nodes
free for this to come back into play for a couple of days (unless we get
lucky and a job finishes early tonight).  Then I may be able to increase the
logging and see if there's anything there that shows any problems.

This happens with: moab-4.2.0p3-snap.1103305235

It also happened with earlier ones..

Chris