[Mauiusers] Maui Installation

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Feb 13 17:49:53 MST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 04:25 am, Siva Bandhamravuri wrote:

> I am planning to install a Maui scheduler for a 4 node cluster.
> Do I need to have a openPBS or any other resource manager installed before
> I can install Maui scheduler ?

As the others have said, you will need a resource manager.

This is because Maui is only the scheduler, it needs something that can
actually accepts jobs from the users, maintains the queues and can start,
monitor and terminate jobs on the compute nodes. This is the resource
manager, of which Torque, OpenPBS, SGE, etc, are examples.

Maui talks to the resource manager to find out what's queued and what the
nodes are and works out what to run, where. It then tells the resource
manager to start jobs on specific nodes.

hope that helps!
Chris