[Mauiusers] Could maui ignore the ppn in qsub

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Fri Feb 11 04:02:36 MST 2005

Ake wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:22:32AM +0100, Bas van der Vlies wrote:
>
>>I know a put the question wrong, but when job 1508 is run it will aquire
>>the whole node and the MAXPS will be recalculated to 7200, because the
>>user has the whole node with 2 processors in it.  Now the user has also
>>reach the MAXPS limit as maui concerns. That is why i asked can we add
>>an CONFIG that MAXPS will skip the multiplication factor. Maybe MAXPS
>>can see if SINGLEJOB is set, we forgot about the ppn factor for the
>>calculation of requested time.
>

> I don't think MAXPS will be recalculated for that ppn=1 job, neither
> will the actual usage numbers.

I know for sure that when the jobs runs the Used amount of time will
exceed the MAXPS factor. We now have limited the user for 600 hours.

I user can subit an job, eg:
	qsub -I -lnodes=60:ppn=1 -lwalltime=10:00:00

This will run and he gets 60 nodes. Our nodes have two procs. When this
job run his MAXPS used factor will be 60*10*2 = 1200 hours what is much
more then MAXPS LIMIT and he has to wait a long time before other jobs
can run

That is why i asked if we could ignore the ppn factor for calculating
the requeted time if we only schedule one job per node.

> But it could be useful to make it work almost like you say, but
> MAXPS should be mult by two in both those jobs, since that is the real
> usage they are consuming here, don't try to change the meaning of MAXPS.

This does not work in a mix environment, eg if you have nodes with 1,2
and 4 processors.