[Mauiusers] Could maui ignore the ppn in qsub

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Fri Feb 11 00:56:23 MST 2005

Gabe Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:30:48PM +0100, Bas van der Vlies wrote:
>
>>Can we introduce a CONFIG parameter that ignores the ppn parameter for
>>torque/openpbs. So that:
>>	qsub -I -lnodes=1:ppn=2  -lwalltime=10:00:00 (example 1)
>>        qsub -I -lnodes=1:ppn=1  -lwalltime=10:00:00 (example 2)
>>
>>Will both result in an request time for 10 hours and not for:
>>  example 1 : 20 hours
>>  example 2 : 10 hours
>>
>>With 'qstat -a' the requested time for both jobs are the same. But Maui
>>does an multiplication ( nodes * ppn * walltime )
>

> Ok, after reading your email again more closely, I realize I jumped the
> gun with my previous reply.  As far as I know, walltime should always be
> considered independant of the number of CPUs requested.  Atleast, that's
> how I would expect it to behave and that is indeed how it has always
> behaved for me.  For all I know, multiplying the walltime by the number of
> processors specified should _not_ be the default, and that has been my
> experience.
>
> Gabe

Not for me:
   Here is the example:
	qsub -I -lnodes=1:ppn=2 -lwalltime=1:00:00 (1507)
         qsub -I -lnodes=1:ppn=1 -lwalltime=1:00:00 (1508)

showq -b:
   1507 bas violates active HARD MAXPS limit of 7200 for user bas
            (R: 7200, U: 13424)
   1508 bas violates active HARD MAXPS limit of 7200 for user bas
            (R: 3600, U: 13424)

As you can see for job 150 the requested time is not the same as for job
1508. It does definitly something with the ppn factor. It this an bug?

Ny settings for allocating nodes is:
   # Node Allocation:
   http://supercluster.org/mauidocs/5.2nodeallocation.html
   NODEACCESSPOLICY      SINGLEJOB